Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Looking Forward to a New Experience

As a single parent, I missed out on a lot my children's day time school activities. I was never a home room mother or any other type of volunteer. And I was still a 'working woman' when my grandchildren were in grade school.
One of the few times I remember attending something during the school day was when I went to grand parents' day at Newton when Zach and Katrina were in the second grade. There was a program in the gymnasium involving all the students before we visited their classrooms and met their teachers.

Katrina and Zachary showed me some of their school work and then the teacher said, "Now, they are going to read for you from one of their favourite books."  They both did a good job of reading, but I remember being so impressed by Zach because he had a problem with stuttering when he talked, yet stuttered very little when he read to me.

Today is going to be my first day as a READS volunteer. I will be meeting my 1st grade reading buddy for the first time. (Lot of firsts there.) I'm looking forward to this new experience. I believe reading is one of the most important learning tools there is. If I can help someone learn to read - or learn to read better - that will be very rewarding. In fact, I won't be surprised if I get as much, or more, out of the program as my reading buddy.

READS - Read, Enjoy, And Develop Success. You will be reading more about it here - not specifics about my reading buddy, of course, because of confidentiality - but how this new experience is affecting my life.

1 comment:

  1. dougbottomline@netins.netNovember 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM

    One of my greastest joys/ memories
    was my 4th grade teacher reading not just one but 3 of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books to the class after noon recess. (Mrs. Shelley)Thank you. I didn't read til much later in life but it was the telling of stories, that compelled me to read in the recent past and now,current
    read is Herman Hess, Siddhartha. A book that is the top "should have read during school" top 20.

    ReplyDelete