Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Spicy Chicken Stir Fry

Stir fry is a favourite meal for us. I make it the same way I make my chili - never the same way twice. I like it because I can use whatever meat and vegetables are available. It is economical because it doesn't require a lot of expensive meat. It is a good way to use up a bit of left over roast beef or pork or a small steak or a chicken breast.
For lunch today I browned a half chicken breast cut in strips in a couple tablespoons of oil. Next I added a half of a small head of shredded green cabbage and two green peppers cut into strips. Before stirring I shook the bottle of soy sauce over all a few times. After the chicken, cabbage and peppers cooked about five minutes, I added the remaining half of a 14 oz. package of frozen broccoli stir fry vegetables I found in the bottom of my freezer.
This is why my stir fry is never the same - I use whatever is available - canned mushrooms, frozen broccoli, fresh peppers - anything to fill up the wok. The broccoli stir fry veggies added taste and color because in addition to broccoli, the bag contained red peppers, water chestnuts, carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms.
What makes the stir fry spicy is a new ingredient I discovered when I took Kathryn to HuHot Mongolian Grill for her birthday in August. First let me say I had never been to HuHot before and I loved it. On each table was a bottle of soy sauce and a bottle of Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce. Mae Ploy is a 'Product of Thailand' described as a mild sweet chili sauce. I tried it and liked it - the degree of spiciness was just right for me. I said to Kathryn, "Maybe I should get some of this sometime." It was possibly for sale in the restaurant, but I didn't ask.

After lunch we continued on with our shopping adventure. As we were standing in line to check out at TJ Maxx, I noticed a display of Mae Ploy sauce. (Wasn't that a coincidence!) For $1.49, I bought a 10 oz. bottle, which is what I used in today's stir fry. Like the soy sauce, I just shake the bottle a few times over the meat and vegetables as they cook. (No measuring for me.)

In the past, I have always served my stir fry over brown rice. The HuHot experience also gave me the idea of using noodles for a change. And what could be easier or less expensive than a package of Ramen noodles?

That's it; fast, inexpensive, spicy, yummy - along with a cup of Tetley British Blend hot tea - a perfect lunch for a cold, rainy, winterish feeling day.

No comments:

Post a Comment