Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Uh, Breaker One-Nine"



"This here's the Rubber Duck. You got a copy on me Pig-Pen? C'mon." (Bill Fries & Chip Davis)

Even though the song 'Convoy' was famous sixteen years before Ki Alaxandor Fleming was born, he knows every word of the C. W. McCall lyrics.

He has talked of being a truck driver for years. Today, on his 18th birthday, he is going for his CDL license.


This picture is the first one of me holding him in NICU. (See Sept. 14, 2009 blog.) His little hand may be grasping my thumb, in reality, he's always had me wrapped around his little finger.










Ki and Mom, Shalea, on his first birthday. She had to hold his hands to keep them out of the cake. A few minutes later, he looked like a Smurf with blue frosting all over his face.
















Grandpa and grandma were always willing babysitters when we lived in WDM. Ki loved being outside. The rain barrel was a favourite drawing card. You can see how much he was enjoying splashing.















After we moved back home to the farm, tractors became his passion. He wanted to be a farmer when he grew up.


He loved being on Great-grandma Ruth's farm. Every time the lessee's came to check on their cows, Ki was right out there with them. He named all the baby calves and hated it when they were old enough for market.







Finding the right xmas presents for Ki was so easy. All I had to do was buy him a farm set or a semi-truck. Happy, happy boy.


When Ki was old enough to have his own e-mail address, it was "boots_____". I couldn't understand why until I remembered the pair of old, too large, cowboy boots he had and wore everywhere.
I'm sure "boots" started out as teasing from the other kids. I think it is a mark of Ki's character that he embraced the teasing.

So, "Boots", "Ki-Ki" or "Rubber Duck", I wish you a very happy 18th birthday. Looking forward to celebrating another eighteen with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment