Search This Blog

Sunday, July 25, 2010

"I've Been Everywhere, Man"


"I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the deserts bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere." (Geoff Mack)


A few years ago when we were talking about some of our trips, Katrina said, "You've been everywhere!" For a young woman who hadn't yet traveled much, I suppose it might have seemed that way. To me, it seems there are still many places I haven't traveled and still want to see.

From the very beginning, Bud and I have traveled well together. We both prefer road trips. We both prefer country over city. We like discovering hidden gems and serendipitous finds. And I've always liked photography, so our travels have been pictorially documented - if only I had kept track of where we were and when we were there!

The top picture is of Amish buggies at a farm sale in SE Iowa near Drakesville. There were many more buggies and saddle horses tethered in this field across the road from the auction farm site. The attendees were predominately Amish.


Bud is always willing to stop whenever something catches my eye whether to take a picture or do some exploring. In this case, I saw a "Plants for Sale" sign next to a driveway off Hwy 2 in Van Buren County. He drove up the long, pot-holed, gravel drive where we discovered these very photogenic chickens as well as many interesting plants and a hospitable owner. She invited us to look around and let her know if we had any questions. I did buy some plants - the only specific one I remember was Horsemint. The last time we were down that way, I looked for the place, but didn't see any sign and couldn't remember exactly where it was.
An interest in photography is something I share with my son-out-law, Ken - only he is a much better photographer than am I. When he and Kari were here in May, we stopped at some old farmsteads so he could take shots of derelict buildings which is something I also like to do. The building in this picture (taken along that same road near Drakesville as the top picture) started life as a log cabin, then was sided over, only to be ending its life with its humble beginning again exposed. At least that's the way I saw it.
Many times when I see something that looks like it would be a good picture, we have already passed it. I say, "Oh, that would have been a good picture." Bud will say, "Do you want to go back?" Often I'll say "no" just because I don't want to back track or make him back track. This was one of the times I said "yes".



We were headed to Louisville, KY for an RV trade show when we worked at Midwest Products when I saw this interesting looking barn. We had spent the night in Quincy, IL and were driving down the scenic route (Gardner Expy-Hwy 57) toward Cahokia Mounds. I had never seen shutters on a barn before.


Flora, fauna, barns, waterfalls, grandchildren, beaches, mountains, historic sites, Victorian mansions - I have so many pictures. I'll just keep taking more. Maybe I'll even get some of the ones written on before I completely forget where/what they are of.
This final picture is of the clematis I had growing on the fence in front of our home on the farm. It died before we moved. Someday I hope to find another one like it. Not because it is my favourite color of clematis, but because of its name - "Ramona".




No comments:

Post a Comment