Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Days Dwindle Down

Oh, the days dwindle down to a precious few...

Another year almost over. Another year I have put off having knee surgery...one of these days...

If I think about the year's highlights, the first thing that comes to mind was our second annual Christmas in July. Held on one of the hottest days of the summer, it was a huge success and so much fun.
Celebrating Christmas in the summer has taken all the usual depression of the season away from me. No mad shopping, no bad weather ruining plans, no scrambling trying to decide a day and time that will work best for the kids, grandkids, in-laws, etc, etc. It is such a relief not to dread the holidays. 

Another of the year's highlights was the high school graduation of my youngest grandchild. The event was saddened by the death of his other grandmother. We all knew how much she hoped to be there.
Next week this young man (19 years old, yesterday) leaves for his basic training in the military. I have mixed emotions about that. I have to trust all will be well. His decision to enlist is the same as my oldest grandson's was in 1999. He ended up going to Iraq. I fear Devin will also see duty in a situation of war.

There were no trips for us this year, but if the winter is bad enough, we have Arizona on our radar. Between my brother-in-law, a good friend and a niece, we could easily spend a week or two in warmer climes. Well, the niece lives in Flagstaff, so that could be more like staying in Iowa.

A road trip in 2017 would be nice, but the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the birth of my second great-granddaughter in March. Can't wait to meet this little one. Babies bring so much joy.

As the days dwindle down, so do the years. I don't have a lot of hope left for the way the world is going, so having the majority of my life behind me is a good thing. I will continue to get lost in books, enjoy the birds, clouds, sunsets out my window...... and these few precious days, I'll spend with you.




No comments:

Post a Comment