Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kaffee Klatsch

I went to Wednesday morning coffee at the club house this morning for the first time since we moved here a year ago. We are usually at the Y every morning. Today Bud had a dental appt. so I decided it was time to meet more of our neighbors.
During the early 60's when I was a young wife and mother, "Kaffee Klatsches" were all the rage. Working full time and taking care of a baby and an apartment seemed to keep me plenty busy. It always seemed I had better things to do than go to coffee. That, plus I never was much of a joiner.
Before Kaffee Klatsches, there were neighborhood clubs. One of the ones Grandma Ridnour belonged to was the Kil Kare Klub. Club members took turns hostessing a meeting once a month. Officers were elected, dues were paid, roll call was answered and agendas were adhered to. After the business was discussed, the hostess would serve "lovely refreshments". One time when I went with Grandma, we were served little sandwiches and a perfect square of jello. The jello had a little squiggle of white on top. "Oh good! Whipped cream!", I thought. Yuck, it was mayonaisse which at that age I did not like. I embarrassed my Grandma by spitting it out.
Once a year instead of an afternoon meeting, the club held an evening potluck which spouses and families attended. And once a year the women went on "Skip Day" which meant they left early to drive to some distant town for lunch and shopping. Grandma was active in her clubs well into her 90's.
Both Mom's sisters belonged to their neighborhood clubs but Mom never joined the one in our neighborhood. Nor was Grandma Lynam a clubber or a coffee klatcher. So maybe I take after them. Or, maybe I've always been too content with my own company (and books).
I'm now realizing the importance of social connections as we age. They introduce us to new people, different prospectives and keep our minds working. It is still easier for me to be reclusive but I'm trying to learn to be a joiner. I've joined the 'Book Chicks' - exactly the type of book club I was looking for - and have made some friends there.
And I think I'll try to make it to the weekly coffees here at the club house at least once a month. Being sociable isn't so bad after all.

4 comments:

  1. That whole deal of pledging allegiance, having officer, using Roberts' Rules of Order! Oh, that was the 50's... And is still alive in lots of groups in Creston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A good time was had by all" Next thing we know, we'll have book club minutes posted in the paper! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... doesn't the "Kil Kare Klub" sound like a ladies auxiliary to the KKK?

    These days people would be much more careful of a name like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Modhran: I think you want to be careful what you imply about Grandma Delphie. I think she can still smack you from wherever she is. :-)

    ReplyDelete