Search This Blog

Friday, December 8, 2017

About That 'Final Resting Place'

As you can tell from the flag, Tuesday was a very windy day. Lots of memories come to mind when I visit this cemetery, like how many years I have been decorating graves here. My first thought was, "ever since I was a child", but then I stopped to really think. If that is true, whose grave was I visiting?

Even though we had friends and neighbors interred there, we didn't have any close family members buried there when I was a child. It wasn't until Dad became ill in the early 60's that he bought a lot and picked out a stone. I remember he wanted a flat one so it couldn't or wouldn't be tipped over.
Until then, I had always assumed Dad would want to buried where his parents, grandparents and little sister were - at Oakland (Quincy). But he chose the cemetery two miles from where he and Mom had lived and farmed their entire married lives. And he wanted space next to them, just in case, because my younger brother was still at home.

It wasn't Dad but my younger sister who was the first of our family buried here. Even though Dad had bought a full lot (four places), my little brother was still single when she died, so Betty's husband and I bought a lot as close to Dad & Mom's as we could; each of us owning two plots. When Betty's son died, his cremains were placed in the same plot with his Mom, so the plot to the right is still empty and owned by her husband.
The two plots to the left are mine. As my husband and I plan to be cremated with the ashes scattered, my kids can use or sell these two plots. I suppose my brothers and I should discuss what to do with the two plots to the left of Mom.
So take note, Doug, Kari and Preston. Unlike my parents, I don't have a deed for my plots in our safe. (I also don't know where Mom's and Dad's deed is, maybe with Ron, as he kept their safe.)

I couldn't help but notice all the corn shucks that had been blown into the fence. As hard as it was blowing, those fake poinsettias probably blew away before I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment