Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

November's Falling Leaves


"The falling leaves drift by the window
The Autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold

Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When Autumn leaves start to fall"

Autumn Leaves was a French song composed by Joseph Kosma in 1945. An American version, with lyrics by Johnny Mercer, was released in 1947.

Roger Williams had a #1 instrumental version in 1955, which was one of my favorites. Many had vocal versions, of which Andy Williams' was my favorite.

Sunday when I took a photo of the above tree, it still had most of its leaves. Two days later almost half of them were shed. Seemingly, it happened overnight. There is a tree, the Ginkgo, which is said to shed all its leaves at once on a single night. It is called, Night of the Ginkgo. It happens sometime in November and, in some places, bets are made to guess the date it happens.

Welcome to November, the Autumn leaves are falling; soon we'll hear old winter's song.

No comments:

Post a Comment