Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Side-Tracked By A Horse Sale

or My Fascination With Bodhráns 

When I planned my trip to Ireland 23 years ago, much of what I wanted to see and do was based on the things I had learned from reading Ireland of the Welcomes magazines. My list of musts was lengthy. I knew I would have to keep on the go.

I don't know if it was my interest in Irish music or if it was because drumming was popular at the time or maybe it was because of an article or ad about them, but a visit to the town of Roundstone in County Galway was on my list - I had it in mind to buy a bodhrán directly from the maker at Roundstone Musical Instruments. Or, if I couldn't afford one of their's at least touring their workshop.

Alas, a chance meeting over the breakfast part of my bed and breakfast interested me in my table mate's plans for the day - a horse sale at Maam Cross. After a stop at the cottage built for The Quiet Man movie, I went on to Maam Cross.

And became fascinated by the horses offered for sale. Besides, it was a rainy morning and the horses were under cover.

I had read about Connemara ponies while still an impressionable teen, actually seeing some of them was a dream come true. I wandered around until I had 'chosen' my Connemara mare and then stayed to see what she and the colt at her side sold for. (£650)

By the time I was back on the road I decided to forego Roundstone and get on to Clifden for the night. There was still so much of Ireland to see. The bodhrán purchase would have to wait for another day.

I finally found my bodrhán at a Renaissance Faire. Did I ever learn how to play it? No. Did one of my grandchildren use the beater as a teether? Yes. Did my son-in-law use it to demonstrate how a bodrhán is played for my niece who had never heard of one? Yes. Do I remember the significance of the symbol on my bodhrán? No.

Did I have any idea in 1994 that I would one day have a son-in-law who is one of the best bodhrán players ever? No.

Not only has he played with various bands throughout his career....

....he has his own cottage industry as a tipper maker. (Sold online through Etsy - ModhransTippers.) I could be wrong, but I think he is the one who came up with that ergonomic gripper - the thumb dip.
He also recently began making nylon brush and hardwood rod tippers. You can see his comparison video of the three types here.

Horses may have side-tracked my original quest for a bodhrán and I'll probably never learn to play the one I do have, but with my son-in-law's music CDs available whenever I want, I can listen to the best bodhrán playing anywhere.

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet! You are correct, that thumb-dip design is Ken's invention.

    ReplyDelete