Search This Blog

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Out Came The Emery Board


When I was young I noticed,
Even on a short trip to town
Mom's emery board would
Come out of her purse

There was just enough time
To give her nails the needed
Attention there wasn't pause
Enough for during her dutiful day

Unless it was a snag, a tear,
Danger of losing an entire nail
Then only a quick pass or two
Of repair until time allowed more

I've heard stories of bosses
Just listening for the raspy
Sound of nails being filed
Before glaring at the offender

Secretaries are not supposed
To have the time necessary
For the filing of nails when the
Filing of papers needed done

Now I have the luxury of time
To file my nails at any hour
But I'm aware that whenever
I'm in the passenger seat

My emery board comes out
And as I shape first on the
Coarse side, then on the fine
An image of my Mom forms

2 comments:

  1. Mommy, this is excellent! "During her dutiful day"--lovely turn of phrase! ❤️

    ReplyDelete