Search This Blog

Saturday, October 14, 2017

From Blossoms To Food


I got a lot of enjoyment out of the volunteer sunflowers, smelling them, taking photos, just seeing their sunny heads made me happy. I looked forward to the birds discovering and enjoying the ripened seeds.

But guess who got there before the birds. When I first saw Ms. Red Squirrel, she was half hidden behind the flower pot. I could tell she had something, but what? The long stem sticking out almost looked like a tail. Then she moved back and I saw that she had a sunflower head, stem and all. She sat there until she had eaten the whole thing. No sharing for her! This was Tuesday evening.

Last night another squirrel, or maybe the same one? was on the neighbor's deck with another seed head. It looks to be the largest one.

Um-hmm. I just looked out and it is gone. I wish I could have watched how she got it off.
At this rate, the birds aren't going to get any sunflower seeds. At least something is benefiting from the volunteers. Chances are it was a squirrel who planted them in the first place.

Addendum: And again this evening:

Could those little cheeks get any fuller?
Maybe yes? Maybe no? But for sure gonna try!

No comments:

Post a Comment