Search This Blog

Saturday, October 7, 2017

An Adult Grilled Cheese .....

...... and other thoughts about places in my old hometown....

A couple of weeks ago I blogged about meeting up with my brothers during Homecoming Weekend in Corning. I shared this photo of us at lunch. What I didn't share was where we were.

When Les asked about a place to go for lunch, I told him about Three C's. He, and my children, would remember it as 'Bill's or 'Ken's'. It has had several owners since it was first established, though perhaps none as successfully operated as it is currently. (I'm getting hungry just typing/thinking about this little diner.)
Although they have won runner-up in Iowa's Best Tenderloin contest, and though I used to always order their fabulous Patty Melt, my new menu favorite is the Adult Grilled Cheese: Bacon, Tomato, American Cheese and Swiss Cheese. So good!

Les and I also stopped by Corning Winery. It has been in existence for several years, but this was my first visit. It is an unusual venue for our area - a floating restaurant/bar - and while it is very nice, I was disappointed to learn that they no longer make their own wines.

Bottle Row is the name given to the area of Main Street South of Sixth street. And this is the building where I lived in 1961 after Kenny and I were married. Our three room apartment was the one in front facing the street - those first four windows on the left. I've written about it before - how the bathrooms were down the hallway and downstairs was the Pepsi Warehouse and an auto body repair shop.

Last weekend Bud and I had coffee with the former wife of his best friend, Bob. Becky and Bud had seen each other a year ago after Bob's death, this time she wanted to see us both. I had never met her before. My husband assured me I would like her. And I did. She is someone I could easily spend more time with.

One of the revelations of our conversation involved the above building. It was the first place she and Bob lived after they were married. Not only the same building, but the same apartment as Kenny and I had lived when we were first married. What are the odds?

I just love it when the universe gives me these small world reminders.

No comments:

Post a Comment