Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Spider's Web


There's been a spot on the deck I've not only been trying to avoid, but trying to photograph for three days now. I'm just lucky I didn't walk into it before I saw it.

And since I have not been able to get a good close up of the orb-weaver, here is one from Wikipedia.

Here you can see a bit more of its massive web. It's attached to the deck floor and to the rail, but it must be attached also from above.

From that limb, twenty feet above? It must be. It is the only possibility.

The Spider's Web

The spider, dropping down from twig,
Unfolds a plan of her devising,
A thin premeditated rig,
To use in rising.

And all that journey down through space,
In cool descent and loyal hearted,
She spins a ladder to the place
From where she started.

Thus I, gone forth as spiders do,
In spider's web a truth discerning,
Attach one silken thread to you
For my returning.
  (E.B. White)

No comments:

Post a Comment