Search This Blog

Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Flower of Grandparents' Day


The first Sunday after Labor Day has been designated as National Grandparents' Day since 1978. The earliest it could be is September 7 and the latest, September 13. This year it falls right in the middle.
The flower for Grandparents' Day is the Forget-Me-Not which seems appropriate; what grandparent doesn't hope to be remembered? Never mind that the Forget-Me-Not is a spring flower and not available in September, it's the thought that counts.

I don't think I was even aware of Grandparents' Day until our granddaughter, Katrina, called and wished us happiness on that occasion a few years ago. She was the first of my five granddaughters. Her brother, Zachary, whose birthday is today, was the second of my four grandsons.

And now that the youngest grandchild will be 20 this year, this grandma's attention turns to the little ones - my great-grandchildren. Currently their number stands at eight (ten counting two older step-grandsons) - six boys and only two girls. I learned last week that the number will be even more lop-sided in January when another great-grandson is expected. But I'm happy for the parents as they are one of the couples with a girl already.

Brynley is my youngest great-grandchild. Her mommie, Katrina, sent me this picture a few days ago of her wearing one of the outfits I had given her when she was born. I bought the jeans and sweatshirt in an older size (18 mos, it think) hoping they would fit this fall and they do. (Isn't she just the cutest little girl?)

Only three of my great-grandparents were still living when I was a child. I do have memories of Great-grandpa and Great-grandma Ridnour.

But I was only about twenty-two months old when Great-grandma Means died so I have no memory of her. This picture of me was taken when we went to see her that summer.

I'm okay if my great-grandchildren don't remember me. I'm just happy I get to know them. Happy Grandparents' Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment