Search This Blog

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Shades of Home Ec

It's like being a freshman in Home Economics all over again with the first unit on sewing. (Yes, I still remember that apron and the grade I received.) Even though I bought a new sewing machine a dozen or so years ago, I only used it a time or two. Now that I want to get those pillows finished I can't find the instruction booklet, I've forgotten how to thread the machine and when I brought it in from the garage I found a dead mouse inside it. Ugh!

Funny that I have set up my sewing machine in front of the same window the previous owner had hers when we first looked at this house.

Two down; two to go. They are stitched together, ready for the pillow forms (I had to order them online, they'll be here Monday) and closing stitches.

Now that I've "started sewing again", I wonder if I'll get enthused to keep going? I used to make a lot of my own clothes. Haunting the fabric stores was a favorite pastime; choosing a pattern and then just the right material.

Too often my enthusiasm waned and I ended up with a lot of material. I sold all of it when we had the farm sale - except for this piece of a very nice wool I bought at a garage sale in Des Moines YEARS AGO. I was always going to make it into a throw cape - a longer version of the brown one I made and love.

It's such a pretty heather color in a herringbone pattern. I know I'd love wearing it. Surprisingly, after all these years, the moths haven't gotten to it.

Who knows, maybe now that Hillary is bringing the caftan back in style, I might even make another one of those to replace the one I made in 1972 and wore until it fell apart.

Wouldn't (my home ec teacher) Mrs. Poindexter be surprised?

No comments:

Post a Comment