Search This Blog

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Pillows By Delphia


Friday I posted this photo of my Grandma Delphia and me on Facebook saying it was 26 years ago today that she died. My granddaughter Katrina gently corrected me, reminding me that we were in the month of September not August. Geesh.

What had prompted the whole exchange was a pillow I had taken to Katrina the day before.

This candlewick pillow, next to Brynley, the top of which had been worked by my Grandma. I asked Katrina if she had any memories of her great-great grandma, which she did not, though she has a five-generation photo of us with her as a baby, on her fridge. She wondered how old she was when Grandma died. I looked it up the next day, Friday, the 15th. Seeing the date of Grandma's death, August 15, 1991 and immediately thinking, "Wow, 26 years ago today", which was when Katrina replied, "Lol, Grandma, it's September!"

Grandma Delphia was adept at all kinds of needlework, crochet, embroidery, tatting, cross-stitch, crewel, etc. Candlewicking was a form of whitework embroidery most popular between 1790 and 1845. It became popular again in the 1980's and I was much a fan of the white on white designs. If I bought some pillow kits would Grandma work them for me?
Grandma wasn't too sure about it, but, for me, she would attempt them. I ended up with six pillow kits beautifully worked in the design of three tulips. Over the years I have debated what to do with them. Make them into pillows? Work them into a quilt design?

It finally occurred to me: I have one daughter and five granddaughters. I would make a pillow for each of them, a remembrance from their Grandma Delphia.

Last year when Kari was here for Christmas in July, she was going to help me make the pillows. We didn't get that done, but she did take her pillow top home with her and completed it. She sent me the picture of it on her bed with some of her stuffed friends.

Now that I have completed the first pillow (well, actually Katrina completed it after we got the pillow form and she stitched it closed) I have the impetus to complete the other four. So, soon, Alyssa, Kathryn, Deise and Dominique will receive the pillows that were hand-stitched by a great-great grandmother that none of them remember.

My hope is that it will mean something to them, just as I remember and honor the many x's great-grandmothers that I never knew. (Aggie, Rosina, Flora, Catherine, Nancy, Melinda, Isabel, Matilda, Susanna and Susana, Maria and Katherine, (whom I do remember).

In the middle of this picture, Grandma Delphia between her parents, Great Grandpa George and Great Grandma Matilda (Tilly). (My mother, Ruth, on the far right in back.)

Representing Dad's side of the family, my Grandma Bessie, standing on the right. In front, left, my great-grandmother Flora and her mother, my Great-great-grandmother, Agnes. (Grandma Aggie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment