Search This Blog

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Morning Light


When the seasons begin to change, one of the first things I notice is the difference in the light; evening draws in sooner and mornings come later. The sun is moving back South changing the pattern of where shadows fall.

I was on my way to the library and grocery a couple days ago when I noticed the sun light and shadows on the old cabin in the Union County Historical Complex.
Can you imagine raising a family in such a small structure? One or two room cabins, with possibly a loft overhead, were the way most pioneer families started out. As time and money allowed, the cabin was added on to, eventually being incorporated into a larger house and no longer recognizable. I wonder about my great-grandparent's house - if, when it was torn down, the original cabin was revealed?

A large fireplace would have provided heat and a place to cook meals. I doubt Hostas would have decorated the outside, however.

This large rock lies near the cabin. I assumed it was decorative until.....

....I saw the plaque. If you are around in 2076.....

I've written about the new bridge on the North side of McKinley Park before, but once again I was struck by its beauty. I love the old fashioned street lamps, too. There's even a hint of color in the trees. Bonus: the heron in the shallows at the left side of the picture.

(Note to self: Take another photo of leaf color next month.)

No comments:

Post a Comment