Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

What'll I Do?

Though I have no memories of when I first heard some of the old standards of my parents' generation, it was/is like I had always known most of them. They were just there in my mind - like In the Mood and other big band hits.

One of my all time favorites is Irving Berlin's What'll I Do which he wrote in 1923. It was used in The Great Gatsby movie in 1974, but I was aware of it long before. It may be the Frank Sinatra version (1947) which lodged in my memory bank when I was four years old. And I know I had Linda Ronstadt' album, What's New, (1983) which it was on and which I used to sing along with.

I don't buy much music any more which is why I wasn't aware Willie Nelson had included What'll I Do on his 2014 December Day album. It's now my favorite version.

"Gone is the romance that was so divine.
'Tis broken and cannot be mended.
You must go your way, 
And I must go mine.
But now that our love dreams have ended....

What'll I do
When you are far away
And I am blue
What'll I do?

What'll I do 
When I'm wond'ring who
Is kissing you
What'll I do?


What'll I do with just a photograph
To tell my troubles to? 

When I'm alone
With only dreams of you
That won't come true
What'll I do?

We had our share of break ups and make ups in the early days, but we've now been together thirty two years. I really don't know what I would do without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment