Search This Blog

Friday, August 25, 2017

Undulatus Asperatus?


Undulatus - wavy. Asperatus - roughened. Roughened waves - one of the newest classifications of clouds - and, if I'm right, ones I was lucky enough to see early this morning.

See and photograph. This type of cloud was first photographed in Cedar Rapids, Iowa in 2005.

And added to the International Cloud Atlas in March of this year.

These are mammatus clouds shaped by wind. As one observer said: "The atmosphere is an ocean, complete with cloud waves crashing above.

As Joni Mitchell wrote and sang:
"I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's clouds illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all."

I just appreciate the wonder of them. Look up.
(All photos taken by ril 8/25/17 - 7:14-7:17 a.m.)

No comments:

Post a Comment