Search This Blog

Friday, April 21, 2017

A Porch Poem

I read this poem a few days ago. It really resonated. Therefore, in order to keep it where I can easily read again and again, I'm parking it here. I hope the author doesn't mind.

(Back Porch on Fourth Street)

This Dark Porch

This dark porch
has brimmed
with light
like a bowl with water
like a throat with laughter

afternoons of light
years of afternoons
scintillating dawns
flagrant noons
underwater-green dusks

and nights
dark and late
lit by candles, hands,
eyes with the leap
that's the life
we've come for,
what we carry
nonchalant
white-knuckled
down the spill of years,
what carries us, what
meets us in the end
and on the way
in each other.
     (Catherine Abbey Hodges)

Oh, if only I could write a poem such as this. Maybe in another life?

No comments:

Post a Comment