Search This Blog

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Winter's Last Hurrah?

Spring is less than a month away. The spate of lovely, warm (70+°'s) days we had made me think it was here. It also made me remember a similar February several years ago when I was so sure it was spring I planted some early garden; never did that again!

But it is Iowa and you know what they say: "If you don't (or in this case, do) like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change."

So yesterday, after the temperature began dropping, the rain changed over to snow.....

..... and the winds blew.

A cardinal and the snowbirds had to scratch for something to eat.

The snow didn't bother the geese - I'm sure the water was warmer than the air temperatures.

Of course the resident squirrel showed up for a bite to eat!

The cardinal flew away to this brushy area. I looked and looked for a flash of red before realizing that post helped make this a lovely, muted, winter tableau.

Things are much calmer this morning. Sunrise turned the pond pink. Temperatures are to start rising again. This snow will soon melt. Perhaps to be seen no more until next fall/winter?

In the meantime, I spotted one more bird in yesterday's snow storm....

..... a sure sign of spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment