Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2017

Anywhere I Wander - Domani

I read The Writer's Almanac every morning. Besides a daily poem, it also has information about what happened on this date. Usually it will be the birth date of an author or two and some event that happened on this date in history. Today, among others was the birthday of Isaac Asimov (1920). Sometimes just reading that information will send me looking for what else happened on this date.

Julius LaRosa was born on this day in 1930. Now that is a name I remember from my pre-teen and teen years. He was an Italian-American pop singer featured on Arthur Godfrey's shows. I remember Grandma Bessie being a big fan of Godfrey's and LaRosa's and upset about their falling out when Godfrey publicly fired him on his show. (Ed Sullivan quickly picked him up.)
 His good looks may be what made me like him, too. I remember Anywhere I Wander and Domani. "Maybe you'll fall in love with me domani. Maybe tomorrow night the sun will shine. I'll change my name from Johnny to Giovanni, if you will say domani, you'll be mine. 
I had no idea what domani meant. When I used it as "tonight's song" in my diary, I said as much, but also "cute song". Knowing domani means tomorrow does make a little more sense out of the lyrics.

It is also the birthday of Roger Miller. I never had any Julius LaRosa albums, but I had several of Roger Miller's including The 3rd Time Around. Who could forget Dang Me, King of the Road, You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd. Chug-A-Lug, Do-Wacka-Do, Engine, Engine #9, Little Green Apples - so many hits - most of them songs that he wrote.

Interesting the memories old tunes will bring to mind.


1 comment:

  1. A lot of the really old songs bring memories of Mother and Daddy. "I love you a bushel and a peck" and "I love you because". One of them would start singing and the other would join in.

    ReplyDelete