Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Taking A Sunday Drive #33

♪ Indiana wants me, Lord, I can't go back there... ♪ (R. Dean Taylor)

Indiana is one of those states we've been through many times with a few stops along the way.

Brown County was one of those earlier stops many years ago. I had read about it in a magazine - probably Country Living or Midwest Living - and wanted to go there. It is a lovely area and would be a great place to spend more time.


New Harmony on the Wabash River in Southwest Indiana was another. This one, I think, on our way home from Louisville.
New Harmony was the location of two attempts at communal living, similar to our own Icarian Colony which Bud's Great-grandparents were members of.

(My photos of both those stops are around somewhere.)

The one place I do have some of my photos from is the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum in Auburn, IN. It was one of those serendipitous discoveries. I mentioned in my second Sunday Drive post about our trip to the NASCAR race in Michigan for Bud's 50th birthday that we hadn't made reservations and had to drive down into Indiana to find a place to stay. That place was Auburn. And since we had time to kill, we were looking for something to do. We could not have found a more fascinating stop.

I love that yellow car above, but must have decided this one was my favorite since it is the one I had my picture taken with.
There's just so much romance about these old beauties....Clark Gable and Carole Lombard....even the facility housing the collection was built in Art Deco style.

Bud tried on one of the race cars for size.

There are more than 125 cars on display.


I remember Mom saying her folks once had a Hupmobile. I wonder if it looked like this 1936 version? Their's was probably older. The Hupmobile was built from 1909 through 1940.

A Duesenberg race car. August and Frederick Duesenberg operated a bicycle and motorcycle shop in Des Moines before turning to building cars. I used to walk past the building at 915 Grand in Des Moines where a plaque proclaimed it the site of where their first car was built.

This was definitely one of our best unplanned destinations.


As much as I loved those beautiful old cars, I adored the Lalique glass hood ornaments (mascots) on display.

This museum has something for everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment