Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

No Mourning Moon For Me

Once in awhile I capture a decent full moon photo with my little point and shoot camera.

This is one of my better ones taken September 23, 2010, with the moon reflected in the pond. Most of my full moon pictures are taken early in the morning as the moon is setting.

In all my full moon picture attempts I do not have any of a November Mourning Moon - the last full moon before the Winter Solstice. This year's November full moon was on Thanksgiving Eve. There was a cloudy overcast both Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving and for several days after. I didn't even see the full moon.

My best chance had been the Monday before as the moon was setting when I got up. It would have been a perfect picture with a few clouds and the orb almost full. Alas, it was almost set when I saw it. By the time I got dressed and ready to go out it was gone.

No wonder I am so jealous of the photo taken and published on one of the blogs I follow. If you want to know why, look here. See why I'm jealous?

According to tradition, the Mourning Moon is a time for reflection and to make changes by letting go of the past. Because my birthday is in November, it has always been a time of reflection for me. Over the past 50 or more years I have made myriad pledges to change, to do better. It just seems fitting (to me) that the Mourning Moon is the same month as my birthday!

December's full moon is on Christmas Day. Maybe I'll get a picture or two of it with my new camera. One question I can't find the answer to: If December's full moon is prior to the Solstice (December 12 for instance), is that the Mourning Moon? Or is the Mourning Moon always the November full moon? Anyone?

October, 2010 Full Moon Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment