Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Topaz Tea Set

The yellow topaz is my birthstone. I'm certain that has a lot to do with why it is one of my favorite colors.


I don't know how old my mother was when she received these topaz dishes as a gift, nor who gave them to her.


I do know they were on the top shelf of the old corner cupboard in the kitchen and that we were not allowed to play with them. I think there may have been more pieces originally. I know there was once a lid on the sugar bowl.
Because they were not play dishes for us and because she kept them on the highest shelf, I knew she valued them. They were important to her.

One November late in her life she asked me what I'd like for my birthday. I told her what I'd really, really, really like was her topaz tea set. And that is what I got.

Now, as I think about the future of these little pieces, I wonder which of the granddaughters or even a great-granddaughter would appreciate having them? There are two granddaughters who have topaz (November) birthdays. Should I give the set to one of them? Or to both?

"Who first comes to this world below
In November's lovely glow,
Should prize the topaz amber hue,
Emblem of friends and lovers, true."

No comments:

Post a Comment