Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Rock City Falls and Saratoga Nat'l Historical Park

Are you beginning to notice a theme here? On the drive from Little Falls to Glens Falls, we passed through the hamlet of Rock City Falls.
Here in 1862 George West, the 'paper bag king' established his Empire Mill on the Kayaderosseras Creek. While across the street......
....he built his home in the Italian Villa style. Now a bed and breakfast listed on the National Historic Register and known as The Mansion Inn, it was built in 1866.
Another view of the mill area taken from a downstream spot. Traveling east of the Mississippi is so interesting to me because every spot is historical and I love history!
The rain was only getting heavier; time to find another indoor attraction and Bud was the one to lead us to the Saratoga National Historic Park, site of the Battles of Saratoga and the turning point of the American Revolution. This view is from the visitor center and overlooks one of the battle fields.
Bud found this hat among the ones you could try on. His comment was: "evidently some guy named Trump was an officer".
While Bud was impressed by the chapeaus, these cuff links in a display of artifacts caught my eye.
 After we left the park, we drove back to the Saratoga Monument a 155 foot obelisk commemorating the American victory in the Battles of Saratoga. Appropriately, the monument is located in the village of Victory near Victory Woods and Burgoyne's army's last stand before surrendering. The aforementioned George West was a contributor in the building of the monument.

If it hadn't been raining, we might have missed this interesting glimpse into part of the history of the American Revolution.

11 comments:

  1. I found your photos of the Empire paper mill in Rock City Falls and just wanted to say I enjoyed your blog page. I also captured a series of this location. I was actually trying to find info on the little stone building that is just up the road a bit in the woods. Like if you are standing in front of the mansion it would be to the right on the opposite side of the road about 30 feet into the woods. The weirdest thing is that as many times that I have been to this location I had never seen it before. I only know it's there now because while my husband was driving about a month ago I just happened to be looking out the window and looking at the woods. In Summer you wouldn't see this building because of the sense green forest that would keep it hidden. So now I'm basically trying to find out what thus tiny building was and what it was used for. It's only about a 10' X 10' structure made from stone I believe. I'm looking forward to getting back there and photographing it once Winter is over. I know there were train tracks through that area at one time so now I'm thinking perhaps it was some sort of depot. But anyways I enjoyed your blog page. Very nice images and notes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. It was raining the day of my visit and photos. Not sure I saw the structure you are describing. I wonder if it could be a spring house? They used to be built over springs to keep the water clean and to keep food cool before the days of refrigeration.

      Delete
  2. Well it is certainly possible. I'm looking forward to getting back there and I'm hoping there isn't a big padlock on the door. I just love these places from the past. I can never seem to get enough ! I'll post back if I find out anything about it. Thanks ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, please do. I love the old and unusual structures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes hopefully this darn snow will get out here and let me get out there again. Ya know not too far from there is the Saratoga County Homestead which was a tuberculosis hospital for children and adults from 1914-1960 incredibly beautiful unique building. It took me a bit to find it as its hidden very well. It's simply beyond magnificent so if you ever get down that way again you need to check it out !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi - Saratoga County Homestead does look like an interesting place and a beautiful building. I doubt I will ever get to the area again. We were trying to see something of the New England states we had never before visited and doing some seasonal leaf-peeping. Unfortunately, it rained the whole time we were there. Do you have an Instagram account where you share your photos? I would enjoy seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I have an Instagram ! jfyre0078 and do you have one ? I'd love to follow ! I posted a lot of pictures from that location last year and they aren't too far down my page as I haven't posted much since last Fall. My favorite part of the building was the children's entrance which was at the other end of the building. Unfortunately the vandles have really messed up this beautiful place. Such a shame. It has changed hands so many times since it closed but nobody ever does anything with it. Pictures really don't do it justice but it gives you a bit of an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your photos are great. I love all the flora and fauna and buildings. The snake photos are wonderful. I have an instagram account so I can follow, but can't post to it because I use a regular camera rather than a phone. I do post a lot of my photos on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much ! I'd love to see your blog !
    Ya know there are lots of ways to post camera pics to Instagram. I just happen to have a Google plus account so I post there first and then go in my iPad or iPhone and click on my picture and select download. Then I post it from my device. But I know many professional photographers who use a real camera post on Instagram so I know there are ways ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read how to post using a camera, but either didn't understand how to do it or thought it was too complicated. I'll go back and look at it again. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. I left a reply but not sure it sent. I'm on my iPad and just have our conversation bookmarked and I'm a big ninny because this is your blog !! Duh !! Beautiful photos on this page and I'll definitely check out the other posts you have !

    ReplyDelete