Search This Blog

Monday, January 26, 2015

You Put the Lime in the Coconut and Drink it All Up

I made a coconut cake a few days ago, which made me think of that song. Only in my case, I used pineapple instead of a lime and we ate it all up instead of drinking it. I have always liked coconut and can remember Mom buying a whole coconut once in awhile. She would punch holes in it and drain the coconut milk/water. I have a vague memory of drinking some and not liking it. However, in my memory, Mom drank it. That was long before drinking coconut water became a health fad. I liked eating the chunks of fresh coconut after it was cracked open.


Not the best picture, but at least I remembered to take one before the cake was all gone. This is the same Coconut/Pineapple Poke Cake recipe I used for the first time for my niece's 45th birthday cake. It is the first time I've made it for us, and while it is very good, I think I prefer the one I make without the pineapple. There are many different kinds of poke cakes - probably the most well known, the jello ones.
Here is the recipe for the cake, as I made it: 1 box Pineapple Cake Mix (you can use any type white or yellow cake mix); 3 Eggs; 1 14 oz can Coconut Milk (not cream); 1/2 cup Flaked Coconut; 1 8 oz can Crushed Pineapple, drained (save juice); 1 1/2 cups milk (more or less); 1/2 cup sugar; 1/2 cup coconut.
Beat cake mix, eggs and coconut milk 2 minutes. Stir in coconut and pineapple. Bake as directed per pan size on box. Cool 15 minutes.
Add enough milk to the reserved pineapple juice to make 1 1/2 cups. Mix with sugar and 1/2 cup coconut in a saucepan. Bring to boil, then simmer for 1 minute. Poke holes in the cake. (I used my large meat fork.) Spoon the milk/pineapple juice mixture over the warm cake. Put in refrigerator to cool. Frost with whipped cream or cool whip. Top with flaked coconut.
This cake was good the first day, BUT, it was REALLY good the second day and beyond. Keep refrigerated.

Other thoughts on the lime - I don't remember Mom buying limes for anything, but she used a lot of lemons for fresh lemonade in the summer time - until she discovered Wyler's Lemonade mix. About the only time I use fresh lime is in a gin and tonic. Oh, and if I do drink a cola, Diet Coke with Lime is my favorite.

♪♪ You put the lime in the coconut and drink them both together. Put the lime in the coconut and you feel better. Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em all up. ♪♪

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ramona - I love anything coconut and will try this recipe soon. I'm looking forward to watching for the new visitors to the feeders this Spring. I'll certainly let you know if I see any. Enjoy your evening, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb - Thanks for commenting. I hope you enjoy the cake as much as I enjoy the photos of your cats and the birds at your feeders. Ramona

    ReplyDelete