Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Last Full Moon of Winter


That's the Full Worm moon reflected in the pond early this morning. Other names for the March Full Moon are: Crow Moon, Crust Moon, Sap Moon, Storm Moon, Sugar Moon, Chaste Moon and Death Moon.


On this same date a year ago the grass and willow trees were green and the wild plums were in blossom. The fox was searching along the edge of the pond for something to eat.


The settlers also referred to the March Full Moon as the Lenten Moon and considered it the last full moon of winter.
The little bit of snow along the pond bank this morning is all gone this afternoon and mama goose is on the nest.


And while the grass isn't green yet, the daffodils are beginning to come up. Of all the names for the March Full Moon, I like Last Full Moon of the Winter best. But even as I imagine the end of winter there is a chance of snow again Monday - and that's no April Fool joke.


I guess I shouldn't complain about the lingering winter weather. This is one of the pictures overlooking the pond I took on March 23, 2011. Much as I'm longing for spring, I'll take another snow over another tornado. (This one didn't cause much damage, but the one that hit just two miles from us last year on April 14 did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment