Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

December (2012) Reading List


I read twelve books during the month of December, 2012. Pictured above are the seven read the latter part of the month. They helped me keep my sanity while I waited out my first (and hopefully only) bout of sciatica.
As mentioned November 30, I am no longer going to try to review the books I read - merely list them and give them a rating between one and five. So, here goes: (B-T-W, that bottom book is the notebook in which I'm keeping track of my reading.)
The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds by Alexander McCall Smith. I adore the Isabel Dalhousie series, but did not feel this book was up to the previous standards. I gave it a 3.5.
Hiss and Hers by M.C. Beaton. Rated 4 - You just have to love Agatha Raisin.
Porch Lights by Dorothea Benton Frank. This is another Sullivan's Island book. I always think of my friend, Ellen (Sullivan) when I read these books - also how much I would love to visit this island off the coast of Charleston, SC. I only gave this book a 2, though, again because I didn't think it was up to the standards of Frank's previous novels.
The Lost Book of Fragrances by M.J. Rose. A fascinating book about the ancient art of blending perfumes and the memories a fragrance can evoke. It made me want to find my old bottle of Coty Musk Oil. I rated this a 4. Wonder if the author's name was chosen as a nom de plume as in attar of rose?
The Good Dream by Donna Van Liere. 1950's Tennessee 'old maid' takes in an abused young boy to raise. I only gave this a 2.5 even though I see it is a 4.08 on Goodreads. I wonder if I missed something or was just not in the mood for this kind of book?
By Starlight by Dorothy Garlock. Another depression era romance by this former Iowan. This one set in a Montana speakeasy during prohibition. Rated 3. I enjoy all this 70-year-old's historical novels.
This Is How It Ends by Kathleen MacMahon. Give me a book set in Ireland and I'll read it. This Irish author spins a tale about a man going to Ireland to find his roots and finds love instead. Not a sappy, light romance novel, but one with a lot of substance. I find myself liking books that end with descriptions about what it is like to die - how they can be sad but uplifting at the same time. I gave it a 4.
Tigers In Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann (Herman Melville's great-great-great granddaughter) I thought I would like this because it was set during and after WWII, but it was kind of weird. Rated 2.5
Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan. A great 70's English spy novel whose protagonist is a secretary-cum-agent. 4.5 rating.
The Round House by Louise Erdrich. The only 5 out of this dozen. Erdrich is one of the finest writers there is - especially her Native American novels. This one tells the efforts of a 13-year-old rez boy to avenge a brutal attack made upon his mother.
The India Fan by Victoria Holt. I read many Holt period romances back in the day. She writes well and tells a good story. This one about the 1857 Indian Mutiny against the British Empire. Rated 2.5. You'll like it if you like Victorian England novels.
The English Breakfast Murders by Laura Childs. I read all of the Indigo Tea Shop Mysteries. I've come to know and like the main characters and even though the mysteries are all very formulaic, I love all the information about different teas and scones. Rated 2.5.

That's the December round-up. How do you feel about this listing of books as opposed to the way I was reviewing them a few at a time?

No comments:

Post a Comment