Search This Blog

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Crone, The Governor and A Rowan Walking Stick


Thirty years ago I began collecting walking sticks. They (and rocks) were the free souvenirs I brought back from trips. At first I was going to buy a walking stick but after recognizing how much they cost I decided to find a sturdy stick, bring it home and make my own. I fully intended to keep track of where I got each specimen but that didn't happen. In time there was quite a collection of sticks by the back door of the home where we lived in West Des Moines.
The one stick I really wanted after reading Celtic Mythology about its magical properties was one from a Rowan tree. I knew maples, elms, hickories, oaks, sumac, ash, poplars, birches, willows, cedars, etc, etc., but no rowans. Then I learned that another name for a Rowan was Mountain Ash. Mountain Ash I knew. I just needed to find the right sized limb from one.


From Celtic myths I also learned about the Triple Goddess - the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone. As I had already passed through the first two aspects, I was finally able to accept being a crone - especially when I read that she wasn't always seen as the old hag, but as the wise one, the grandmother, the keeper of wisdom, a seer, a healer, a guide and the one to encourage other women to be wild and free; to show the strength and courage within us all.
Here I am as the Crone a year or two after my 50th birthday. I've got one of my walking sticks and a basket of goodies waiting for trick or treaters to ring the doorbell.


When we moved back to Corning I joined the Ag Diversity Committee. Once we obtained a grant and had the funds to hire a part-time program manager we progressed beyond the think tank lunches of our first few monthly meetings. The county board of supervisors approved our request to lease 21 acres of the old county farm to use for garden plots. Anyone interested could grow produce to be sold at the farmers market.


Eventually another goal was achieved - that of retail space which included a state-approved kitchen in which growers could process foods like pickles, jellies, salsas, and baked goods to sell in our store, Country Foods. Select crafts were also offered for sale. This was when I finally got busy and finished some of my walking sticks to sell. The two I'm holding in the black and white photo were commissioned as gifts. They were made from oak.
When we learned that the governor was coming to town to speak about the importance of value added agriculture and tour our facility, I knew I wanted to present him with one of my walking sticks. I think his was either maple or hickory. Everyone moved to a seating area for the governor's talk. Afterwards on the way back to the store, I stepped in a hole, badly twisting my ankle. Governor Branstad helped me up and offered to give me back the walking stick if I needed it. I always kidded that was the day I "fell for the governor".
Naturally I thought my walking sticks were beautiful and everyone would want one. I don't think I ever sold any other than the two commissioned ones, but I gave several to friends as birthday presents. After that I quit collecting branches to make into walking sticks - without ever obtaining the elusive Rowan......


........until last fall when I noticed part of the Mountain Ash across the street from our house was beginning to die. I asked the property owner if I could cut a limb from the side that was dying. He said I could. So now I have a proper Rowan limb from which to create what will probably be the last walking stick I ever make.

A Rowan staff is supposed to protect you from being harmed on a journey and bring spiritual enlightenment along your path. I'll post a picture of this old Crone and her Rowan walking stick after I get it made.

As promised - me hiking with my finished rowan stick at Green Valley Lake 26 June, 2016.

1 comment: