Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2012

End Of The Season


Today was our last local farmers market for the season. The vendors were fewer in number as were the buyers but it was a beautiful autumn afternoon. Those green-striped, sweet corn shaped gourds? Squash? to the left of the basket of apples intrigued me. I did not stand in the very long line just to ask what they were, though.


Almost every Monday afternoon at 4:00 this summer you could find me at McKinley Park. Usually I was after zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, peppers and onions. I also got at least once, cantaloupe, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, watermelon and eggs. There was only one watermelon at my favorite vendor's today and this woman had already claimed it. She did not take her hand off it until Dale saw her and waited on her.


This year was the first time I had seen pink peanut squash. These end of season ones don't have quite as many peanuts on them as the first ones did a few weeks ago. Weird looking, aren't they?


We participated in the Iowa Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program again this year, which means we each received $30.00 in checks to be used for fresh produce at local farmers markets. Last year was the first we knew about this program. I know we've eaten a lot more fresh veggies because of it.
Most weeks there has also been live music. You can see some of the players in the background of this picture. I had heard that the drought had limited the pumpkin crop this year, but it seemed like there were plenty around here.


The Bridgewater Farm owner, Dale, quickly became my favorite vendor. The organic produce he offers is all raised in his 12 acre patch, unlike some of the vendors who don't raise any of the things they sell. A few weeks ago I saw a sign for brown eggs. After I bought them and looked at the carton I wondered where on earth the eggs had come from - there was not one word of English on the carton.
A couple weeks later I bought a dozen extra large brown eggs from Dale. They are the best eggs I've had for a long time. He didn't have any with him today, but he does sell eggs at his farm. I'm seriously considering driving the 35 miles over there to get eggs when I need them. They would be worth the trip.

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing like farm fresh organic food to eat. I so want to put a garden in to raise my own. But Shalea says there isn't any place to put one. Balderdash, I say. We have plenty of room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there any community gardens or CSA's in your area? You might try container or square foot gardening like Kari did to see if you like gardening before digging up a large space. I think you might have too many trees on the north side of your house which would be the most likely spot for you to garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I did put a garden in, I would put it in on the south side of the house. Plenty of sun, etc. I will check into maybe a small square foot garden...

    ReplyDelete