Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Blessed Samhain or Happy Halloween


Blessed Samhain - the Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter, usually accompanied by a bonfire. My mother and daughter weren't celebrating Samhain, they were just burning the leaves they had raked up.
The Celts believed this was the time when the veil was thinnest between the living and the dead. The ghosts of loved ones could walk among them.


Happy Halloween - now the second most commercially touted holiday in the country. I wrote here about how much fun the kids and I used to have celebrating Halloween. Those were such good times. Now I would be content just to have my beautiful black Cerridwen curl up in my lap again.


I know somewhere I have more pictures of my kids in Halloween costumes over the years but I only came up with a few today. I hardly ever bought costumes for my children. Instead we made up something with what we had. Besides it was usually so cold they had to wear their coats over the costume anyway.
This picture of a five-year-old Doug was taken before we went trick or treating when we lived in Mt. Vernon. I'm not sure why his mask doesn't go with his costume. I probably let him choose his own and that was what he wanted.


Granddaughter Alyssa was not only showing off her cat costume, she was demonstrating how a cat came down the stairs. We even used to call her Aly Cat.


Okay. This is not one of Dominique's Halloween costumes. It was one of her birthday presents. But she could have used it for a costume. Such a cute little fashion plate.


That little skeleton/leprechaun grew up to be Gomez Addams. I'm sure he had a ball at that party two years ago - maybe even more fun than he had trick or treating as a kid.

While I'm at it, let me be the first to wish you a Happy (Celtic) New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment