Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

There Really Was An "Aunt Lettie"


Many times in my 'growing up' years I would hear Mom refer to someone as Aunt Lettie. I had no idea if there really was an Aunt Lettie or if it was just a name she came up with. If you were called Aunt Lettie, it meant you were shirking your job. Mom said after a big family dinner, when it came time to do the dishes, Aunt Lettie always had something else to do - usually holding the nearest baby. (And if there wasn't a baby available it was needing to use the outhouse.)
So, in our family, if it was time to do the dishes and you weren't around Mom would say, "Oh, Aunt Lettie's holding the baby." (Picture of Mom with 2-week-old Dominique Danelle Fleming.)


Looking through some old pictures I found this one of a group of women (and one small boy). Luckily my grandmother was good about putting the names on the back of photos or I would have no idea who they were. Back row, left to right: Laura, Mother, Rosa - and there she is - Aunt Lettie! Front row, l-to-r: Aunt Myrtle, Elva Means, Aunt Zoah, Jessie. The little boy is Marvin Means. He was born in 1914 and looks to be around six in this picture, so I would guess the picture to be from around 1920. I would love to know the occasion. Was it just a family dinner or an outing for these women? (No men in the picture.)
Laura (Brock) was the wife of my grandmother Delphia's brother, Orphas Means. Marvin was their son. 'Mother' meant Grandma Delphia's mother, Matilda Lippincott Means. Rosa Hardisty Means, standing next to her mother-in-law was married to Lettie's son, Harrison Henry Means. Lettie Crist Means was the wife of Melvin Means the brother of Delphia's father, George. I wonder if she ever knew her name was part of our family's sayings.
Aunt Myrtle Olds Means was the wife of Harrison Winchester Means. Elva Freshour Means was the wife of  Peter O. Means. Aunt Zoah Ann was a sister of Grandma Delphia's father, George. She married Simpson Robison. They lived in Onawa, Iowa. Jessie Means Miller was Grandma's first cousin, daughter of George's brother 'Bing' (Isaac Bingsley Means).


This picture of cousins was taken around the same period as the photo above, though not the same day as Jessie has on a different dress. Back left, Zoah Means Mangels (daughter of Harrison & Myrtle Means; niece of Zoah Ann). Back right, Blanch Means Taylor (daughter of Melvin and Aunt Lettie Means; wife of George Taylor). Front left, Ethel Means (Darrow is crossed out - Shannon written in. Haven't traced her yet.) Ethel was the daughter of Daniel and Clara Means. Middle, our grandmother, Delphia Means Ridnour (daughter of George Robert Means and Matilda Naomi Lippincott) married to Joseph Ridnour. Right, Jessie Means Miller (daughter of Bing and Susie Means) married to Harry Miller.


I can get a little carried away when I get into family history. The point I want to make is that whenever there is a baby around - like Rodney in this picture of us taken almost three years ago --


you may just call me Aunt Lettie because I'm going to be the one holding the baby (here with Lily in June this year) - NOT the one helping do dishes!

(The Aunt Lettie reference lives on in my immediate family. Son Douglas called me Aunt Lettie when I took his granddaughter, Lily, away from him at his birthday party last month.)

3 comments:

  1. This is precious history, Mom! I love it. I want copies of both those group photos to frame. And I really wish you'd known "Zoah" was a family name when I was born! (Auntie Zoah looks FIERCE, I love her!) Thank you so much for preserving and sharing these memories. We should talk about permanizing this history. Let's work up a story-telling/recording project; the Means-Ridnour-Lynam, etc., Story Corps, if you will.

    When you put up old photos, I like to look at them and see who resembles whom in our family today. In the second shot, before I read the names, I zeroed in on front, center, as looking like me--and then saw it was Grandma Delphia! I used to dislike taking after the Means side, but the older I get, the prouder of it I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are interested in family history. Now I know who to pass all this stuff on to. (Smile)
    I can see some of Delphia in her Aunt Zoah. And I feel the same way about that name now. Even if I'd known about it, I might not have named you Zoah - too 'old fashioned' for me at that time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures! I had an aunt everybody made fun of because when the ladies gathered in the kitchen to do dishes, all she did was hold a dishtowel and talk. She never dried a single dish.

    ReplyDelete