Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Weekend - A Wedding, A Class Reunion and Remembering Uncle Friskie


This past weekend was a busier than usual one for us. On Saturday afternoon we attended Brock and Paullina's wedding at Ledges State Park near Boone which is where I took this picture of the groom, (our grandson) and his sister, Katrina.


We stayed at the reception for awhile but left early because I wanted to get home (2+ hour drive) and do a few more things in preparation for the overnight stay of my brother Les and his wife Susan. They were in the area for Les' 40th high school class reunion. (This picture of them is one I took at their wedding almost three years ago.)


When I told Katrina that we weren't going to stay too late at the reception because Les & Susan were coming to stay, she said "You mean Uncle Friskie? How is he? Tell him I said hello." I said, "Uncle Friskie?? Why do you call him Uncle Friskie?" Katrina replied that she didn't know why; it was just what they had always called him since they were little.
The next morning over coffee I told my brother Katrina said to tell Uncle Friskie hello. Les said, "She still remembers that?" We had a few laughs over the sobriquet and then I asked him why Doug's kids called him Uncle Friskie.

It seems many years ago when they were about the ages they were in the above picture (Douglas, 31; Zachary 8; Katrina, 7 and Alyssa, 4), or even a little younger, we were all at Mom's for a July 4th weekend. When Les and his family arrived they had their new dog with them. Katrina said, "What's his name?" meaning Uncle Les, but Doug thought she meant the dog so he said, "I dunno - Friskie?" From then on Doug's Uncle Les became Uncle Friskie for him and his kids.


It was a story I had probably known at one time, but forgotten. Luckily my brother has a good memory and now I've written it down so the family can always remember Uncle Friskie, pictured above as he may look in his later years.


 (Hopefully my brother will still be speaking to me after this post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment