Search This Blog

Sunday, July 22, 2012

To Be 70 Years Young


"To be 70 years young is sometimes far more cheerful and hopeful than to be 40 years old." (Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.) I don't think anyone can do 70 years young any better than my brother-in-law, Gene.
A few days ago Kristi invited us over for homemade ice cream and fresh peach pie to help celebrate her Dad's birthday. He didn't want a big to-do. A Sunday night supper seemed about right for him.
Nothing was said about presents, but I knew I wanted to give him something to mark the special day.


I don't know how I remembered that at one time he had collected red glass. I confirmed with Kristi that he still had his collection, but hadn't added a new piece for a long time. I knew there was a reason I didn't sell my old Anchor Hocking Royal Ruby pitcher at the farm sale. "This 'small ball pitcher with ice lip' would be perfect for him", I thought.
So this morning I went out to get it off the top shelf in the garage - and it wasn't there! A scan of all the shelves didn't reveal the box I knew it was in. The hunt was on. Every box and Rubbermaid container was searched. Shelves were straightened as I went along - a job I've been planning on 'getting around to' for some time. Finally, when almost every shelf had been searched, I found the right box.


I think Gene liked the pitcher. Didn't he one time many years ago kid me about giving it to him? The time had to be right - and what could be more right than marking a 70th birthday and 49 years of having this cheerful man in the family?
"With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come." (Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice)

No comments:

Post a Comment