Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Ethic of Reciprocity

I had the unwanted chance to practice the ethic of reciprocity yesterday - or as I learned it as a child, The Golden Rule: "So in everything, do unto others what you would have them do to you" (Matthew 7:12)  If you enlarge the above image you will see the heading is "Creston Police Department." Yep, kiddies, Grandma had an accident.
As I was backing out to leave the Y yesterday morning, I lightly bumped the car next to mine. I got out to look and saw there was a very slight dent above the wheel on the right, front (passenger side) fender and no damage at all to my bumper.
Had the other car been parked within the lines, I would not have hit it at all. They had pulled into and through two parking spots so they were headed out - but way out beyond where they should have been. I started turning as I was backing just like I've done multiple times before and would have been fine if the other car hadn't been sticking out into the travel portion.
Was I at fault? Yes, because I should have been paying more attention. Were they partly at fault for sloppy parking? I think so, but maybe I'm just trying to justify my own action. What I don't have to justify is that I did the right thing: I could have driven off; no one saw the accident. But I called the police and made out an accident report. The other driver couldn't be found, so the policeman left a note for her to contact them.
When I got home and told Bud about it, he thought we might want to pay for the damage if it was minor and not turn it into our insurance company in case it raised our rates, while my thought was, "Why do we carry insurance, then?" But I could see his point.
I talked to the other driver today. The estimate to repair that little dent is almost $600. I called my insurance company. We have earned the "First Accident Forgiveness" benefit due to being accident and violation free for the past five years, so hopefully our rates won't go up.
Did I consider even for a moment just driving off and not reporting the fender bender? Yes, I did. But I knew I wouldn't feel right about it even if I could justify it being partly their fault. As Confucius said: "To know what is right and not do it is the worst cowardice."


At least if I had to have an accident, it was a minor one. Thank goodness neither car looks like my brother's did a couple years ago.
There's another quote which applies: "Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking." Even if our insurance rates do go up, I'll still be glad I did the right thing and reported my accident. I want to be true to myself* and to set a good example.

(*To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man." William Shakespeare, Hamlet)

No comments:

Post a Comment