Search This Blog

Monday, February 13, 2012

"Now Don't Tell Me, I've Nothing To Do"

 "Countin' flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all...." The Statler Brothers had a hit country/pop song in 1966 with Counting Flowers on the Wall.
The song was written and composed by Lew DeWitt, the group's original tenor.






"Playin' solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty one...."


 I have played a lot of solitaire over the years, though now it is almost always played on the computer.


 "Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo...."
 Who could forget Captain Kangaroo and Bunny Rabbit? I started watching it along with my little brother in 1955. Before Bob Keeshan became Captain Kangaroo, he was Clarabell Clown on the Howdy Doody Show - another early television kids' classic.
The Captain and Mr. Green Jeans welcomed us to The Treasure House where Dancing Bear performed and Mr. Moose told jokes. Tom Terrific, his sidekick, Mighty Manfred, the Wonder Dog, and their nemesis, Crabby Appleton appeared in cartoons. And the list of celebrities who appeared as guests over the years is lengthy and varied.
Captain Kangaroo was still aired in black and white when my oldest son, Douglas, was little. But by the time Kari and Preston started watching, it was in color. The show was on CBS for the nearly 30 years.
  
"Now don't tell me, I've nothing to do....."

I do have much I need to do. Sorting papers and pictures is chief among the tasks I find it hard to tackle. I can remember wondering why Mom never seemed able to sort through her papers and get rid of what wasn't important. I mean, it wasn't like it was hard manual labor which I could understand her not doing anymore. Now I'm beginning to understand. I do fairly well with the easy stuff - newspapers, etc. to recycle - and most of the junk mail that needs to be shredded if I don't want to be a victim of identity theft - but what about the insurance/tax/savings/credit card statements and the like? I let them pile up until even shredding them is an all day task. It's so easy to think, "I'll do it tomorrow......" and go back to playing another game of solitaire.

Or even counting flowers on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment