Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Livin' on Tulsa Time"


Andrew, Tina & Nicholas Lynam



"Livin' on Tulsa time
Livin' on Tulsa time
Well you know I've been through it
When I set my watch back to it
Livin' on Tulsa time...." (Don Williams)

I have been unable to get this song out of my head since my nephew Andrew told me last weekend he is transferring to Tulsa, OK with his employer, US Cellular. I am happy and excited for him and his wife and son. I'm also a little sad for my brother not having one of his grandsons nearby. I remember being so glad for Ron & Ruthie when Andrew's moved to Red Oak from Indiana - they would be able to spoil Nicholas. I benefited, too, from being included in Nicholas' birthday parties.


I don't know how Ron views their move. I see it as an opportunity to explore a new area of the country. Bud & I have been through Tulsa, but didn't really stop to see anything. Instead we went over to Muskogee and Ten Killer Lake area. What I remember most is how really green and beautiful that part of Oklahoma is.

Our first trip to eastern OK was to Heavener so I could see the Heavener Runestone. That trip included stops at Tahlequah, the Cherokee Heritage Center and Natural Falls State Park. I'm already looking forward to seeing the Philbrook Museum and Gardens in Tulsa if/when we go to visit Andrew & Tina in their new home.


One thing I do remember about going through Tulsa, besides the Oral Roberts University buildings, was the barge traffic on the Arkansas River. I had never thought about the river being navigable that far upstream. Tulsa was known as "The oil capital of the world". It was also the home of Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys - they the originators of "Western Swing" music. "San Antonio Rose" is one of their hits. The name of Oklahoma's second largest city comes from the Creek word Tallasi meaning old town.


For Andrew, Tina and Nicholas, Tulsa means new town. I wish them a smooth transition and loads of happy new experiences and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment