Search This Blog

Saturday, May 15, 2010

May Reads I



Short list for the first half of May reads: "Gunpowder Green" is the second book of Laura Childs' "Tea Shop Mysteries" series. I think I have written about this series before - this is the 4th or 5th one I've read. Theodosia Browning is the owner of the Indigo Tea Shop in Charleston, SC. She seems to always be in the area when a murder is committed. Of course, she has to do what she can to help capture the culprit. I like these little quick-read mysteries as much for what I learn about tea as for the crime solving. Childs always includes recipes in the back of the books. This one's "Cucumber and Lobster Salad Sandwiches" sounds yummy.
"Jim the Boy" by Tony Earley is one of the books Kristina recommended last winter. I found and read the sequel, " The Blue Star" the first part of April and was immediately entranced. I was quite happy to find "Jim the Boy" at the Half-Price Bookstore when I checked out its new location earlier this month.
I think one of the reasons I liked these two books so much is because I relate to the ways the adults teach Jim about right and wrong. His experiences are so similar to the way I was raised. Earley has the talent of giving his readers entire scenes with only a few words. As I wrote after finishing "The Blue Star" - I hope there will be a third novel about Jim Glass.
Ian Rankin's "Strip Jack" was my third May read. It is Rankin's 4th Inspector Rebus novel. The book I bought is a 2008 Orion Paperback reissue of the 1992 original. It contains an introduction by the author with information about when and where he wrote the novel and what was going on in his life at the time which I found interesting.
I wish I could have read this series in order. I had to read 'em where I found 'em. I think there may still be a few I haven't read to look forward to.
Finally, I'm in the middle of the third Inspector William Monk Victorian Mystery by Anne Perry. This series I am reading in chronological order. I was wrong about Monk & Nurse Hester Latterly becoming investigative partners as I surmised at the end of book two. In fact, she seems to be forming an attachment to the barrister, Oliver Rathbone.
Their current case has the three of them trying to prove innocent a woman who has already plead guilty of killing her husband. I love my English mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment