Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Jose Cuervo, you are a friend of mine ---

I like to drink you with a little salt and lime.
Did I kiss all the cowboys? Did I shoot out the lights?
Did I dance on the bar? Did I start any fights?" (Cindy Jordan)
Cinco de Mayo made me think of margaritas. Margaritas made me think of Jose Cuervo which made me think of Shelly West's hit song from 1983 by the same name. It was such a fun, catchy little tune. Its success brought increased sales for Jose Cuervo Tequila, which brought more success for Shelly's recording.
Another of her songs I really liked was "You're the Reason God Made Oklahoma" - a duo with her brother-in-law, David Frizzell. The song was #1 on the country charts in early '81. It was used in Clint Eastwood's movie "Any Which Way You Can" in 1980.
As much as I liked these two songs of Shelly's, it was her mother, Dottie West, I was a real fan of. Dottie was one of the early successful female country western artists along with her friend, Patsy Cline. (Another favourite of mine.)
In 1970, Dottie's song, "Country Girl" was used as the basis for a Coca-Cola commercial. In 1973, she wrote another commercial for them: "Country Sunshine". I was living near and working in the big city at that time, but since I considered myself a 'country girl' I would always crank up the volume and sing along.
West had so many hits alone and with duo partners. "Every Time Two Fools Collide" with Kenny Rogers was one of my favourites. I still remember hearing about her car accident on August 30, 1991. At first it was reported she wasn't seriously hurt. When I heard on Sept 4 that she had died, I couldn't believe it. I still love listening to her songs.
But back to Cinco de Mayo, which began this chain of thoughts: the fifth of May is not Mexico's Independence Day. It celebrates the victory of Mexican forces over the French at Puebla. Although France went on to capture Mexico City and install Maximilian as Emperor a year later, the delay kept the French from lending support to the Confederates during our country's Civil War.
Cinco de Mayo has become more popular as a day of celebration in the U.S. over the years. It is generally a day of cultural celebration with emphasis on beverages, food and dancing. Later today I plan to drink a margarita, eat some chips and guacamole and listen to Dotty West - all in the spirit of......

No comments:

Post a Comment