Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Being a Good Sport

I have never been good at sports - as in playing games. And Bud would tell you I'm not a very good sport when it comes to losing - especially at Cribbage.
It all started in grade school when first graders were pitted against eighth graders. It wasn't so bad if we played "Drop the Hankie", "Hide and Seek", "London Bridge", "Mother May I?" or "Blind Man's Bluff". But if teams were chosen for "Red Rover, Red Rover", "Steal Sticks", "Prisoner's Base", "Ante-I-Over" (or as we called it, "Annie, Annie Over"), or Softball, I would be one of the last chosen. It got better when I was older but I never was a fast runner.
We didn't play "Ante-I-Over" too often. It might have had something to do with one of the school house windows being broken by the ball we used. When there weren't enough players to choose sides for softball, we played "Work-up". Each player chose a position (or drew for a spot), when there was an out, that person went to the last position (outfield or third base) and everyone moved up one spot until they got to bat. I always wanted to be the pitcher even though I wasn't very good at getting the ball over home plate. If not everyone got to bat before recess or noon hour was over, we'd "hold your position!" until the next recess and pick up where we left off.
Another game we played which I don't know the name of was like charades. We divided into two teams. The first team chose an occupation then advanced to the line saying "Ready or not, here I come." The other team would say, "Where are you from." Reply: "New Orleans." Question: "What's your trade?" Reply: "Ice Cream and Lemonade". Guessing team: "Then show us something if you're not afraid." The first team would begin acting out their occupation. When someone on the opposing side guessed the right trade, the members of the first team had to run back to the safety of their home line. If they were tagged, they joined the opposing team. What did we call that game??
There were times we joined two or three other country schools at the end of the year for a day of Games and Relays. I especially remember going over to Jasper #5 when I was in fourth grade. For a very long time I still had the ribbon I won that day. That was probably the biggest deal about the day besides competing against some new opponents - first, second and third place winners received ribbons. There were races, like 3-legged and sack. There was the broad jump, the high jump and the long jump. There were games involving throwing balls for distance and/or accuracy. You could compete in whatever you wanted to - you didn't have to try everything if you didn't want to, although the teachers did encourage us to try.
The reason I remember that day so well is because my teacher insisted I try the broad jump. I finally did and was in first place for my age group. That really made me feel good. Then just before the ribbons were given out, Pearl Thomas, the teacher from Jasper #4, made Steve Milliken take a turn. He bettered my jump by an inch or two and won. I was so disappointed about not winning, but as I said, I did keep that red second place ribbon for a long time.
I still remember the disadvantages country school kids had when they started to high school and had to play sports in phys ed. Not only had I never played volleyball or basketball, I didn't even know the rules. I think there was only one other girl chosen last more often than I was. Sometimes I was chosen among the first for basketball because I was tall. But the captains soon learned that being tall didn't make me a good basketball player.
Perhaps if I had been a better sport - and better at sports - I would have encouraged my own children to try out for the team sports when they were in school. Doug went out for Junior High Football at Johnston and played in a couple games before quitting. I remember being glad he quit. I didn't want to see him get hurt. I much preferred going to see my kids in plays and concerts.

No comments:

Post a Comment