Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

April 2, 1916


Until twenty-one years ago, April 2 meant to me my Grandpa & Grandma Ridnour's anniversary date. Joseph Rufus Ridnour and Delphia Verda Means were married on this date in 1916 by Adams County's "marrying preacher" A.Y. Cupp at his home near Carbon.
Joe was the son of Lydia Katherine Mauderly and Rufus Ridnour. He grew up with his sisters, Florence and Lottie on the Mauderly home place NE of Nodaway. He had a little brother, Fred (Freddie) who did not survive. Grandpa was born in Page County June 11, 1896.
Delphia was the daughter of Matilda Naomi Lippincott and George Robert Means. She was born May 10, 1896 near Mt. Etna. She had an older brother, Orphas and two sisters, Drothel and Delilah. Delilah was born March 4, 1890 and died of cholera in August, 1891.
Grandma's grandparents, David and Catherine Lippincott operated the Mt. Etna Mill at one time. In the spring of 1905, the Means family decided to move to Kansas. I remember Grandma Delphia telling me about going to Kansas in a covered wagon. Either they got homesick or did not find Kansas to their liking because three months later, July 1, 1905, they were back in Washington Twp. (Mt. Etna). That must have been quite an adventure for a nine year old.
When I asked Grandma how she and Grandpa met (because to me as a youngster, the distance between Nodaway and Mt. Etna seemed farther than they could travel by horse and buggy), she told me they met at the Brooks Homecoming.
It must have been the very first Brooks Homecoming held which was in 1915. I can remember going to the Brooks Homecoming as a young child. The last one was held in 1953. By then they didn't amount to much - a picnic lunch and a ball game is what I remember. But in the 30's & 40's besides ball games and other sporting events and contests, they included a pet and doll parade for the 12 and under crowd, a flower show, concessions and a dance both nights of the festivities.
Grandpa & Grandma's first home was a small three room house on the Leatherman place in the Highland area in Douglas Twp. It was in that house their first daughter, Evelyn was born in November, 1916 and my mother, Ruth was born in January, 1919. I think they had moved NE of Villisca (to the farm where Findley Cemetery is located) before Lois was born in June, 1920.
After living in the Guss area many years Joe & Delphia bought the Heaton Farm west of Ivyville in 1941. It was there they lived the remainder of their lives. It was there I remember celebrating holidays, birthdays and anniversaries, including their 43rd in 1959 before Grandpa died in February of 1960. (This picture was probably taken around the time of their 30th anniversary.)
April 2, 1989, my second granddaughter, Alyssa Mae Botkin was born in Des Moines. Today I remember my Grandparent Ridnour's wedding anniversary date. Tonight I will be present as Aly celebrates her 21st birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment