Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rafael Mendez and Me


I never learned to play a musical instrument. My Mom told me at a very early age, "You couldn't carry a tune in a bushel basket". So I never tried to sing in any choirs either. My grade school friend, Virginia, sang beautifully. I assumed she was born with talent even though I knew she took voice, accordian and piano lessons. I didn't realize you could 'learn' how to sing.
I am glad Kari & Preston were both in Valley H.S. choirs. They had a wonderful instructor in Mr. Clark. And I'm glad my grandchildren are learning to play musical instruments.
When I was a junior in highschool in 1960, the famous trumpeter, Rafael Mendez, came to our school to give music clinics to the band members and practice with them in preparation for a concert.
The following year, my senior year, he came back for a repeat of the year before. I was a staff member of the school paper. My assignment was to interview him and write an article for the paper. I know I didn't fully appreciate who he was nor his talent. I remember some of the girls in band being very excited about performing with him - almost swooning with excitement.
I might not have known anything about music, but I wanted him to see me as a very mature, competent interviewer. I wanted to ask intelligent questions. I know I was trying to hide my nervousness which I'm sure he saw, but he very quickly put me at ease and we had a pleasant time while I asked my questions and he answered. At least I had a pleasant time; I hope he did. He probably wondered why he was being interviewed by a non-musical dork.
I had attended his concert the year before as well as the student concert that afternoon where he talked about the embouchure accident which had almost ended his career. In 1932 while warming up at the Capitol Theatre, his trumpet was smashed into his face when a door was carelessly thrown open. Up close, I could see how scarred his upper lip was. I don't remember if we talked about that during the interview. I do remember trying not to stare at it.
Mendez was born in Mexico. He began learning the trumpet at age five because his father needed a trumpet player for the family orchestra. After playing for Pancho Villa in 1916, the Mendez Orchestra was conscripted into the guerilla leader's army for a few months. When the rest of the family was finally released, Villa kept Rafael as his personal trumpeter for a time longer.
In 1926, at age 20, Mendez moved to the United States, first working in the steel mills in Gary, Indiana and then in the Buick Company plant in Flint, Michigan where he could play in the company band. After winning an audition for the Capitol Theatre orchestra, he moved to Detroit and began playing with other orchestras in the area.
While touring with the Rudy Vallee orchestra, he fell in love with southern California. He and his wife and twin sons moved there in 1937. As a member of the MGM Orchestra, he played on movie soundtracks as well as live performances. He was signed to a twelve record deal by Decca Records. In 1950 he began working full time as a trumpet soloist working with symphony orchestras, concert bands and big bands in the United States and Europe. He also began appearing regulary with two of my favourites - Dale Evans and Roy Rogers.
What an amazing career this man had. I wish I had understood that when I had the privilege of talking with him one-to-one 49 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment