Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March Reads II

"City of Light" by Lauren Belfer is one of the books I picked up at the Half Price Bookstore - which by the way if you don't already know it is moving next to Kohl's on University where the card store used to be.
I am a great fan of period literature. This book is set in Buffalo, NY in 1901 as that city prepares for the Pan-American Exposition - the World's Fair. It was also during the time when great power plants were being built to harness the power of the Niagara Falls to generate electricity. When the chief engineer of the turbines and generators used in the powerhouses is murdered suspicion falls on a radical group that wants the river and falls to remain undeveloped so all may enjoy their original grandeur.
I think the reason I like historical novels is because every time I read one I learn something new about the past - it feeds my love of history. This was Belfer's first book, published ten years ago. Her second book is due out in June. "A Fierce Radiance" is already on my 'to read' list - set at the beginning of WWII when penicillan was new.
M.C. Beaton's "The Witch of Wyckhadden" is another Agatha Raisin mystery set in England's Cotswolds. Mrs. Raisin is such an irrepressible romance-hungry amateur sleuth bumbling into one murder after another, I can't help but like her. This is the third or fourth book I've read of at least twenty starring Agatha Raisin. I know our library doesn't have them all, but I'll read as many of them as I can get my hands on.
"Brava Valentine" by Adriana Trigiani is the second book in the Valentine trilogy. I remember the first time I read Trigiani. I was delighted with "Big Stone Gap" and although I had not heard of the author, I thought she had major potential. Her growth as an author is evident in "Brava Valentine" - it is a wonderful book. I'm not even going to try to describe it. Just get a book by Trigiani and read it!
Emilie Richards has written a series of Shenandoah Album books which all have a quilting theme and are named for quilt patterns. "Endless Chain" is the second one I've read. I like the way Richards combines modern day Shenandoah Valley with some of its history. As I do anytime I find a new author I like, I read all the books they've written that I can find.
While visiting in Tucson last month, I made a list of books and authors recommended me by my friend Kristina. One of those was Anne Perry - especially the ones with the William Monk character. Today I finished my first Anne Perry Victorian Mystery, "The Face of A Stranger". For all the reasons I like Laurie R. King and Robin Paige mysteries, I like Anne Perry.
In "The Face of A Stranger", Monk awakens from an accident with no memory of who he is or what happened to him. Nurses tell him his name and that his only visitors have been policemen. Until his superior from the Metropolitan Police visits and tells him he is a policeman, Monk fears he may be wanted by the police.
As he struggles to regain his memory, he is put in charge of the sensational murder case of a Crimean war hero and younger brother of Lord Shelburne. When he realizes his superior on the police force wants him to fail, Monk has to be even more guarded as he tries to solve the murder while learning about himself.
This is the first book in this series. I really can't wait to read more.

1 comment:

  1. You have DEFINITELY given me some good reading material to look for! Thanks.........

    ReplyDelete