Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Grandma's 'Grandma Aggie'

Agnes Georgina Hull Richardson was my Grandmother Bessie Lucille Duncan Lynam's Grandmother. That's my Great-Great Grandma Aggie in the top picture and my Grandma Bessie with her in this picture. There is no date on these pictures, just the note "taken at Lloyd's". Lloyd would be one of Grandma Bessie's brothers, Lloyd Duncan. By guessing the age of the little girl on the left below, I would say this picture was taken around 1940. Uncle Lloyd and Aunt Ruby were living on a farm NE of Quincy (Adams Co. IA) at that time.
Grandma Aggie died before I was born but I remember hearing alot about her. She and Grandma Lynam were very close. Grandma's own mother, Flora Richardson Duncan, (Aggie's daughter) died at age 60 which may have contributed to their closeness.
Grandma Lynam used to say her grandmother came from England, but I believe it was her grandmother's mother (an Edwards) who came from England. I have the Hull's traced back to Vermont. I am quite certain Hull is also an English name. (I give these English ancestors credit for my love of tea.) I know Grandma Aggie, her parents and brothers & sisters all came to the Corning and Fontanelle areas. But Agnes was married to John Richardson in Wisconsin. I do not believe he came to Iowa with her. I think she came with her little daughter, Flora, to be near her family.
What ever happened to John Richardson has been the big mystery of my family tree. When I visited with Grandma Bessie's first cousin, Lottie Hull Scott when she was 90+ years old around 1980, she told me that when they were children and asked whatever happened to Aunt Agnes's husband they were told: "He fell down the well." Being children, they took the explanation as factual until years later. My Aunt Leona, Bessie's daughter, and her cousin, Carolee Duncan, tried to solve the mystery of their Great Grandpa Richardson, with no luck. Aunt Leona and Carolee are both deceased now. I harbor faint hopes of discovering the mystery before I die.

The two girls in this picture with their Great, Grandma Aggie are Carolee Duncan on the left and Shirley Duncan on the right. Carolee was the daughter of Lloyd Chapman Duncan and Ruby Elmira Hickman. Shirley was the daughter of Ralph Duncan & Pearl ? (They moved to Washington State & we saw very little of them. Ralph was Grandma Bessie's youngest brother.) The little boy in the picture is Ralph Hickman, Jr. His father and Carolee's mother, Ruby, were brother and sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment