Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Reasons Why


These were two of the reasons why I didn't blog yesterday. We spent the day in West Des Moines. Anytime we venture into the city we try to make the trip count. Now that we have a new baby in the family, seeing him always goes to the top of the list.
Rodney will be three months old Monday. Now that he has all his surgeries behind him (no pun intended), he is thriving. And such a sweet little guy he is. Even though you will note that in this picture he is giving grandma the bird!
Which segues into one of the other highlights of the trip - buying "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" by Alan Bradley. (That's a picture of a dead bird on the cover.) Kari highly recommended this book to me and after reading her review of it on www.bookishdark.com I could hardly wait to get my own copy.
Whenever we go to Des Moines, Bud invariably comments: "Well that was a successful trip." Which usually translates to: "We spent a lot of money." He did get a new toy at Best Buy and I did come home with some things in a Kohl's bag.
Finally the third reason for going yesterday was our appointment with the CPA to have our taxes done. It looks like we are not going to have another big tax bill and that next year things will be so normal that I can go back to doing our own returns as I have for years. Good. Not that I don't like seeing Brian again, just that I don't like paying for someone to do what I've always done for myself.
It was a longer than usual day for us old folks. We arrived home a little after five. I didn't even have to worry about dinner thanks to Brad and a large lunch at Perkins. But I did agonize about blogging. I haven't missed a day since January 1 and a New Year's Resolution. I did not realize how freeing a day missed would be.
There have been days when I came up empty with blog ideas. (You could probably tell.) There have been days when I didn't feel like blogging. (You could probably tell.) And there have been days when I just didn't want to blog but felt like I had to. (I could tell.) Missing a day finally gave myself permission to: miss a day.
If I really did need a reason why, having grandma time with little Rodney was the best reason imaginable.

1 comment:

  1. Tee hee hee--that kid's gonna fit right in with the rest of the family! It's so good to see him looking so plump and well.

    ReplyDelete