Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Perfumes I Have Known


I can still remember how excited I was the first time I received 'perfume' for xmas at Grandma Ridnour's. I was eight or nine and the eau de toilette was 'Apple Blossom'. The little bottles of toilet water (as we called it) came in two fragrances. I think the other one was lilac, but Apple Blossom was my favourite. I felt so grown up when we got ready to go anywhere and I had my own perfume to put on.
By the time I started high school I had graduated to 'Blue Waltz' and 'Ben Hur'. I wanted to wear 'Evening In Paris' just because of the name, but it was more expensive. Then I was able to smell it and didn't like the odor even if I could have afforded it.
Avon fragrances were what I wore in my 20's - 'Somewhere' and 'Topaze' were two I liked. When I received a bottle of Coty's 'Imprevu' as a xmas gift, I thought I'd hit the big time as far as perfumes went. Houbigant's 'Chantilly' was my favourite throughout my 30's. I also liked 'Coty Musk Oil'.
When I was 37 I made a mis-step into the more expensive perfumes - I bought a set of Worth's 'Je Reviens' strictly because of its name, translated to "I Will Return". I could not wear it. Many perfumes affect me that way. I try them on my wrist at the perfume counter then have to locate a restroom so I can wash them off.
By the time I was in my 40's and the kids were mostly raised and I had a little more money to spend on myself, I was finally able to purchase what I thought of as "good" perfumes. 'Liz' by Liz Claiborne was what I wore for a long time - and Calvin Klein's 'Obsession'. I would wear 'Liz' during the day and 'Obsession' at night.
In my 50's & 60's I moved on to Clinique's 'Happy' and 'Aromatics Elixir'. I wore Estee Lauder's 'Pleasures' for awhile, but am now on my second bottle of her Eau de Parfum Spray 'Pleasures Delight'.
I know how a person spends money says something about them. I feel so much "richer" wearing an expensive perfume than I ever would wearing a designer dress. i.e., I will spend money on scents but not on clothes. What does that say about me? And what of my choices in scents? What stories do they tell through the years?

No comments:

Post a Comment