Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Grandpa on the Block




Today I saw my son Doug and his new grandson Rodney together for the first time. Doug was 47 before he claimed status as a grandfather, ten years older than I was when I became a grandmother for the first time. I could tell he is pretty happy with grandfatherhood.
Doug has been enamored of boats for several years. (His dream is to retire onto a sail boat.) When he learned he was going to be a Grandpa he began building the above cradle. I hope it is one of those pieces which gets passed down through the generations. It seems pretty special to me.
My younger brother Les became a grandpa for the first time in 2009 also. He was 55 when Maya was born. Older brother Ron was a first time grandfather at age 61. Nicholas is eight now. I may have been a very young grandmother but I'm glad it happened that way because now I can enjoy the next generation as a great grandmother.
Doug reminds me of his Grandpa Botkin - he likes to tease the little kids just as Chuck did. And he is already putting Rodney to sleep by rubbing his back which is the way Doug's Grandma Lynam put him to sleep. There are traits and traditions we pass down as well as cradles.

2 comments:

  1. That's so touching. What a beautiful crib, and what a loving grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the crib should have looked like a kayak! haha. Actually the boat is very cool. Gee at 52, I feel way too young to be a gran...

    ReplyDelete