Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Books, Books, Books, Etc.


Great-grandson, Rodney, is finally going home today. I am so happy for him and his mama. He was born Nov. 15, seemingly healthy at 7 1/2 lbs. Within two days he went into the NICU with suspected Hirschsprung's Disease.
That was confirmed. It was a matter of waiting until surgery could be performed. Last Wednesday the Dr. performed "pull through" surgery. Katrina & Brad were told if all went well - if he started eating and pooping on his own - he could go home in 7 to 10 days. Little wonder man; it's day 5. Can't wait to see you in person, Rodney.
Yesterday I mentioned that I had never gone to college except for a few courses at the community colleges. I think I've done o.k. without a college education, but I'll always wonder what I could have been/done with one. Many times I have been embarrassed about admitting to no degree. It always made me feel "less than".
The worst of those times was probably when I belonged to PRSA (Public Relations Society of America) and we had joint meetings with PRSSA members. (Extra S for Student) Invariably two or three students would ask my alma mater. Cringe.
I was signed up to go to college after h.s. graduation. In July I became affianced to Doug's dad. Kenny did not want me to go to college. He was afraid I would meet someone else and break up with him. He was probably right - not because I met someone else - but because my eyes would have been opened to a wider world.
I cancelled my plans for college, but not because of Kenny. I was signed up for a secretarial course. I had gotten a full time bookkeeping/receptionist/secretary job right out of highschool. I reasoned it was silly to spend money to go to college to learn to do what I was already earning money to do. Goodbye college.
Those were the etc's. Now, the books, books, books. I read alot. It is what I always said I'd do when I retired. Mostly I read fiction - but well-written, entertaining fiction. I used to like those period romances. The ones set in the 1700-1800's. I hadn't read any for a long time until this week. One of my reading weaknesses is feeling as though I have to finish a book just because I start it. I kept reading the 'bodice ripper' (isn't that what they're called?) even though it was the same drivel all the way through. I really dislike myself for wasting the time to read it to the end.
Now I'm on to Kathleen O'Neal Gear's "Thin Moon And Cold Mist" about a woman who fought in the Civil War and then moved west to Colorado to work a gold mine claim on her own. A novel, yes, but a well-researched one based on historically accurate stories of women who lived in the American West before 1880.
I've read most of the "People of the ...." novels written by O'Neal and her husband Michael Gear. They are always entertaining and educational. I've just begun this book. Already I feel better.

2 comments:

  1. Mayhap yet another reason I didn't attend college: Corning's Guidance Counselor my junior and senior years told me the only reason girls needed to go to college was if they were going to be teachers or nurses. He actually encouraged the young women of CHS NOT to go to college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that baby is doing okay. Tough few weeks for the young parents!

    ReplyDelete