Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Ian Rankin, Scottish Mystery Writer

Back in the '60's my favourite writer was Ian Fleming. Yes, I was a big James Bond fan.
A different writer named Ian became one of my favourites in the 90's - Ian Rankin.
I first heard of Rankin on a television program - Sunday Morning, I think. One of the correspondents was doing a piece on "this great new Scottish mystery writer, Ian Rankin". I wrote the name down thinking I would try one of his books.
The library had nothing of his, so next time I was in Des Moines I looked at the Half Price Bookstore. Nadda. It was a couple years before I finally got my hands on an Ian Rankin book. It was one of his Inspector John Rebus mysteries. I fell in love - with Rankin's writing and his damaged inspector.
Rebus was in his 40's when first introduced. After 17 books, he is set to retire. I will miss him. In the meantime, Rankin has written a number of what I call stand alone books; meaning they are not about Rebus. Witch Hunt is one of those.
Witch Hunt was my plane book when I flew out to Portland to see Kari & Ken a couple years ago. It was a coincidence that Rankin was holding a book signing at Powell's Books while I was there. I didn't attend. I'm still wishing I had.
I left the book for Kari to read with this question: "Did he or didn't he?" If you read or have read "Witch Hunt", I'd like to know what you think. "Did he or didn't he?"

Today I finished "Tooth & Nail". I'm sending it on to my brother. Les hasn't read any Rankin books and I think he would enjoy them.

And speaking of Les, a cute story about his son; also an Ian. I don't remember where Les was working when Ian was born, but they had one of those signs out front on which you could change the message. They posted: "It's a boy. IAN MICHAEL, etc." Some woman came in and congratulated Les and then told him the BR had fallen off the sign. Apparently she was not familiar with the name Ian and thought it was supposed to be Brian.

I still have Rankin's "Doors Open" and "The Complaints" novels to read and two or three Rebus mysteries I somehow missed. I hope you'll give him a try and don't forget, "Did he or didn't he?"

No comments:

Post a Comment